IP Centrex Solution
The birth of Voice-over-IP technology in mid 1990s and its rapid development in the early 2000s has led to fast innovation in the telecom sector. VoIP technology today allows telecom providers to deliver traditional telecom services, such as Centrex, over IP networks to their subscribers (IP Centrex). As a result, modern telecom providers are no longer limited to their local markets and can market their services on a worldwide basis.
One of the early fruits of telecom innovation was the introduction of IP Centrex services. The IP Centrex business model is an enhanced version of the traditional Centrex model, where end-users enjoy popular PBX features, such as call hold, call transfer, last number look-up and redial, call forward, and three-way calling without the need to own expensive PBX systems. IP Centrex allows delivery of same features over broadband connections. The IP Centrex business model appeals to providers as it offers a low costly into the lucrative market for VoIP services.
SysMaster offers very scalable and cost effective IP Centrex solution that enables providers to quickly roll out residential and business IP Centrex service offerings. SysMaster’s IP Centrex solution utilizes innovative Intelligence-at-the-Edge architecture in which the central servers perform call management and billing functions whereas the customer premises equipment devices, such as the Tornado M5 IP Phones, deliver IP Centrex functionality. Due to its decentralized architecture, SysMaster’s IP Centrex solution is offers high fault-tolerance and greater availability. Because all solution components are developed by SysMaster, providers benefit from lower integration costs and improved return on investment.
How does the solution work?
- The user subscribes for a particular service plan on the service provider’s website.
- The provider sends the user a Tornado M5 IP Phone. The user connects the Tornado IP Phone to his/her local area network.
- The user picks up the Tornado M5 IP Phone and hears a regular dial tone.
- The user dials a destination number and the call gets connected.
- Each month, the user receives electronic or printed invoice from the provider.
- The user can check his account balance/history online on the provider’s website and can make automatic or manual credit card payments.
Service provider experience
- When the user picks up the Tornado M5 IP Phone and dials the destination number, uniSwitch Softswitch sends an authorization request to VoiceMaster® VoIP Billing.
- VoiceMaster® verifies user account information and authorizes the call if the user has sufficient balance.
- uniSwitch matches the destination number against routing tables and connects the call to a remote gateway.
- Upon call completion, VoiceMaster® records complete CDR information for the call and debits the user account with the accumulated service charges.
Solution components and requirements
Core elements of SysMaster's IP Centrex Solution include:
- VoiceMaster® VoIP Billing, a robust billing server that supports a wide spectrum of pre- and post-paid VoIP services.
- uniSwitch Softswitch, a flexible VoIP Softswitch that offers secure and reliable peering between VoIP networks.
- Tornado M5 IP Phone, a next-generation IP phone offering complete set of IP Centrex features, offering a cost-effective alternative to expensive PBX systems.